Re: Impossible Deadlocks

From: Chris Weiss <weisschr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:39:21 -0400

> These transactions normaly take a fraction of a second to perform but
> eventually the application hangs for an infinite time (at least about
> an hour). So it looks like a dead lock but I was told that deadlocks
> are solved by oracle imidiatly. But if it is not a deadlock then at
> least one instance of the application should keep running.

Have your DBA check the alert log. If you have a conflict such as a checkpoint error or log contention, sessions can hang even though the deadlock within Oracle has been resolved.

You might also be losing your session, and your application might be hung waiting for a response on a dead socket. You might want to institute a process that has a timeout. After a timeout has occured, reconnect and resubmit the transaction.

If this is happening on multiple session (everybody hangs at once), you have a more serious problem. My guess would be a flaky listener on the database. If it is only individual sessions, then I would begin with what I have suggested above.

> By the way. Can anybody tell me how to access this newsgroup with a
> normal News reader? I'm experiencing some problems with dejanews and
> would like to switch to my preferred newsreader but I don't know a
> newsserver which supports this group.

Try outlook express. However, you must have direct access to a news server.

Chris Weiss
Compuware Corporation
Professional Services Division Received on Wed Jul 07 1999 - 10:39:21 CDT