Impossible Deadlocks

From: <schauder_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 02:00:12 GMT

hi
I tried to post a similar message a view minutes ago but got some problems with deja news. So I hope it works this time and you don't get the message twice.

My problem is with an application written in VB5.0 SP3 using OO4O 2.3 running on NT4 SP3 against an Oracle 8.0.5 db (sorry don't know the OS of the server)

The application runs on serveral PCs but essential 3 are being used at at time.

After hours of running without any problems the application on updates/inserts to one table. They all access different rows of the same table. On this table is a trigger which changes some of the values in the updated/inserted row and updates 0 to n rows in another table (but never the same rows for the different sessions) and it inserts a row in a third table.

These transactions normaly take a fraction of a second to perform but eventually the application hangs for an infinite time (at least about an hour). So it looks like a dead lock but I was told that deadlocks are solved by oracle imidiatly. But if it is not a deadlock then at least one instance of the application should keep running.

Thanks for any help

By the way. Can anybody tell me how to access this newsgroup with a normal News reader? I'm experiencing some problems with dejanews and would like to switch to my preferred newsreader but I don't know a newsserver which supports this group.

Thanx again

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 06 1999 - 21:00:12 CDT