Re: Help installing ORACLE on LINUX

From: Brian Lavender <brian_at_brie.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:18:11 GMT

Get Debian 2.1

Don't worry about setting the kernel parameters until you get Oracle installed. You will have to worry about which version of glibc you have. I successfully installed Oracle on Debian 2.1 without too much of a glitch. I started with a Debian "Adminstrators install". Debian has glibc 2.0.7. This is how I did my directories ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle
ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/product/8.0.5
Three mount points for data storage

/home/oracle/u01
/home/oracle/u02
/home/oracle/u03

I created the dba group, and the oracle user installed the files. I installed everything, but the JDBC. The two glitches I had were: One of the documentation files tries to drop into some directory like /home/oracle/product/8.0.5/server805/install

create the directory structure just above the point it is trying to install the document with
mkdir /home/oracle/product/8.0.5/server805

Make a sym link for that directory to the documentation directory ln -s /home/oracle/doc /home/oracle/product/8.0.5/server805/install

I also found that with the tcl stuff, it was looking for a library which appears to be named differently on my system. If you look in /usr/lib you will see
tcllib8.0.so
THe installer is looking for
tcllib.so
so I created a sym link there too.
ln -s tcllib8.0.so tcllib.so

Those are the some of the obsacles I overcame with my Oracle install. At our next Linux Users Group meeting July 14 I will present how to install Oracle. I plan to do a slightly more detailed writeup than here too.

brian

On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:57:16 GMT, yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>I'm here to ask for answers. Hunter, did you get any response on this?
>People following this thread talk about how to solve the glibc
>compatibility problem (kindly), but does that mean we don't have to
>worry about "set the kernel parameters" altogether?
>
>Yong
>
>In article <al8b3.4028$d5.409156_at_news21b.ispnews.com>,
> "HunterX" <Hunterx_at_linkline.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up ORACLE on my LINUX box (RedHat)and the
>instructions say
>> I need to set the kernel parameters. Could someone please tell me
>how??
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Brian Lavender
Sacramento,CA
Brie Business Directory - Napa Valley http://www.brie.com/bbd/ (916) 443-6195

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."