Re: Is oracle easier than C++ programming?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 08:25:47 -0400

You don't really "program" in Oracle as such. Oracle is just an RDBMS which provides a means of storing data in a way that can be retrieved in a relational fashion. To use this data one must write programs in languages such as C/C++, PL/SQL and perhaps use tools such as ODBC to access the data.

If you really don't want to go the programming route you can always be a DBA, but it is difficult to be a good DBA without first being a good developer.

Being a programmer is not difficult. Programming languages are fairly simple. C/C++ is one of the easiest languages to learn because it is one of the least restrictive languages. The object oriented features of C++ can be a challenge, but there is a lot of C++ which is written that is nothing more than a few classes thrown together that have nothing to do with object oriented techniques.

Ken