Re: Architecture Question

From: Dave <dave_at_foobar.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 01:14:52 GMT

Paul,
Here's one option:

Install a separate development server with enough horsepower to serve your developers which shouldn't require as much as the production server will eventually require. Each developer can have a .profile to the box with his/her ORACLE_SID. They'll have access to svrmgrl, all of the PL/SQL packages, etc. Each should be able to create his/her test database, start/stop the database, etc. from their desktop workstations. Notice, this wouldn't require any installations on their local boxes.

Another (less attractive) option:
Configure each workstation for dual boot with Win NT. Install Oracle for NT on each box and let them play, design, reboot, etc. to their hearts' content.

Personally, I'd go for the formal dev. server. If you got an E4500 (say) for your production OLTP app, consider scaling back to an E450 for your dev/test box. If you go with a separate development box, memory (RAM) and cpu number will be important to keep your developers happy. Also, with Oracle, it is better to use many smaller drives than a single great-big-drive. And NEVER use Sun's Software RAID for an OLTP app! Learn about OFA (Optimal Flexible Architecture).

Good luck,
Dave

|nojunkmail_at_nospam.com| mindspring.com| |nospam_at_nojunkmail.com| davegrantier@ |