Re: COOL:Gen vs Oracle Designer

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 00:34:02 GMT

In article <7lftn0$er1$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, chris_lack_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>Could someone with experience of Sterling Software's
>COOL:Gen summarise its good and bad points for me, please?
>
>We're currently using Oracle Designer and Developer.
>How does COOL:Gen compare to Oracle's tools, please?

Well, I evaluated it about five months ago, but here goes...

COOL is actually cool! I only looked at the logical and physical data modeling components - one product. I really liked the ease-of-use and the slick logical-physical associations. However, it had a LOT of bugs then - definitely not ready for prime time. It may be much better now, but it was pretty useless then.

It is most certainly at the opposite end of the spectrum from Designer! Far, far simpler. Extremely easy to use. Much less powerful, extensible, and configurable. These may be the two polar opposites of modeling tools! I have no idea about any code generators - I was looking at modeling only.