rebuild indexes

From: David Spaisman <david.spaisman_at_compaq.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:23:13 -0400

Hello:

I have been told that the two parameters -- blks_gets_per_access and pct_ued -- were key indicators on whether or not an index should be rebuilt.

 My environment for this testing is Oracle 8.0.4.00 on NT 4.0 sp4.

In a test environment, I have rebuild indexes that exceed blks_gets_per_access(> 5) .

I would like to clarify my understanding of how this parameter(and Pct_used) from index_stats work.

If I rebuild the index or drop and recreate the table(and then the index) this parameter --blks_gets_per_access-- does not change. I thought that if the table was rebuilt the parameter would be initialized. That does not appear to be the case. In a specifc case, the blk_gets_per_access is 2269 and it didn't change regardless of whether I rebuilt the index or dropped/recreated the table and index. Restarting the datbase/instance ddin't change the parameter value as well.

Is this the way this parameter works or did I do something wrong? Is this abug possbily?

Thanks.

DAvid Spaisman Received on Fri Jul 02 1999 - 12:23:13 CDT