Re: Does my oratab file look dodgy?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 08:19:13 -0400

It certainly doesn't look good. But the file is basically an ascii file file that you can edit.
The format is:

sid:oracle_home:Y|N

So, if your ORACLE_SID is 'mysid' and your ORACLE_HOME is '/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.0.5' and you want the database to come up automatically when you boot your system, the contents of oratab would be:

mysid:/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.0.4:Y

If you want to control the database manually then change the Y to N - however, once you do that the dbstart/dbshut scripts will not start/stop your database and you'll have to go into svrmgrl or instance manager and perform the startup manually.

Ken