Simple SQL - GROUP BY

From: Filip Hanik <fhanik_at_digitalworkforce.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:00:45 -0700

Hi,

I have, ever since I learned SQL, been kind of confused by the GROUP BY clause.
I have successfully used it for computing values.

But here's my problem,
I want to retrieve two columns out of a table PERSON_ID, COMPANY_ID but I'm only interested in retrieving on person per company.

TABLE tblEmployees (

    PERSON_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,
    COMPANY_ID INTEGER NOT NULL
)

So I would like to group by COMPANY_ID but the compiler doesn't let me retrieve the PERSON_ID.

If I put a MAX around PERSON_ID will I get a correct person_id like this? SELECT MAX(PERSON_ID), COMPANY_ID FROM tblEmployees GROUP BY COMPANY_ID;

thanks

Filip
fhanik_at_digitalworkforce.net Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 19:00:45 CDT