Re: Source code control for stored procedures???

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 22:43:50 +0800

bernstej_at_nasd.com wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Can anyone tell me of a tool which allows one to manage stored
> procedures in an Oracle database (Solaris 2.4, v.7.3.4 in particular;
> migrating to Solaris 2.6, Oracle 8 shortly)?
>
> I've used Microsoft's Visual SourceSafe to manage Visual Basic
> projects. We're using a tool now that aids in developing and modifying
> stored procedures directly in the Oracle database but we need a method
> to track changes between releases. Rather than rely on manually saving
> procs to flat files (allows for loss of synchronization, etc.), I
> wonder if there's a tool that will manage this for me.
>
> We're using Windows 95 as our development machines so a Windows-based
> tool would be ideal. But if our only choice is on the UNIX side of
> life, well, that'd be fine by me. <G>
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

A workaround we used...

Visual source safe used but repository was on the unix server (shared out by Samba)...

Once per day we ran some jobs on the unix side to ensure that flat files equated to what was in the database etc etc...

Not superb - but often saved our hide when things were checked out by mistake (or checked in by mistake) etc etc

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 09:43:50 CDT