Re: Oracle newbie: HELP

From: Filip Hanik <fhanik_at_digitalworkforce.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 13:39:16 -0700

Ok, A short summary of my pain.

Each database runs as a NT service.
Each database that you create will need a SID which is a unique identifier. The default is ORCL.

A datafile is the physical file that Oracle stores stuff in. Oracle accesses the datafile through a tablespace which is the logical representation.
A tablespace can have more than one datafile.

In Oracle each user is a database schema, ie they can have their own tables triggers, indexes and more.
Each user has a default tablespace where he/she store their objects.

the NET8 connect string is what the DSN is to ODBC. setup up a NET8 through the Net8 Easy Config. the wizard will ask you for a name - choose a name choose TCP/IP
type in your server name and port (default port is 1521) You can test the connection by using the SYSTEM account pwd = MANAGER

In SQL*PLUS you can say
connect USER/PASSWORD_at_SERVICENAME; where service name is the NET8 name that you created earlier.

Setting up ODBC you would create a DSN pointing to your NET8 service name

Hope this helps and let me know if you need any more help

Filip
fhanik_at_digitalworkforce.net