Re: Can You Convert a Field ???..

From: Kenny Gump <kgump_at_mylanlabs.com.nospam>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 07:35:00 -0400

I know another post suggested adding a column to the table and that will work, but what happens when someone updates one of the 3 original fields. You will have to rely on triggers to update the new field. You might also try creating a view and selecting from the view. This way when an original field is modified the view will automatically be up to date.

create view myview as
select household_num, acct_num_display, bran, to_number(household_num) +

to_number(acct_num_display) +

to_number(bran) as service_id
from my_table;

Kenny Gump