Re: Can You Convert a Field ???..

From: Christopher Beck <clbeck_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:03:36 GMT

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 02:20:23 GMT, "Paul Q" <paulq_at_home.com> wrote:

>Considering account_num has non-numeric fields. to_number going to choke.

>>>8427400007776 0000000AB0045467 2827

                            ^^

True, I did not see the 'AB' then the acct_num_display value. I have to assume that that value is bogus since the initial question asked for the total and not the cat of the columns and that the new column was to be of type number. Looks like the initial poster has a little data scrubbing to do. Or maybe the acct_num column is in HEX, which is another story. Either way, thanks for pointing out my over site.

chris.

--
Christopher Beck
Oracle Corporation

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 08:03:36 CDT