unique index on varchar2 column/805

From: Philipp Florschutz <pf_at_gmx.net>
Date: 30 Jun 1999 12:49:04 GMT

When migrating from SQL server to 8.0.5. we encounter some difference with unique indexes on varchar2 columns. On SQL server if we have two strings "bla" and "Bla" these are the same and inserting/updating these on such a table will fail for the second one due to unique constraint. This needs to be reimplemented on Oracle, where "bla" and "Bla" are two different strings and insert will not collide.

We are using a special OCI application that is completely independent from our tables and must not take any action, that somehow is column dependent. I am in search for a database internal solution not visible to the application. I have gathered some solutions:

Is there a simple solution that we did not see (we even asked at Oracle support hotline)? This actually is a simple and frequent problem when coming from SQL server and I suspect, there is some easy way of doing it. Any hints, anyone? Thank you for any helpful comment.   Philipp Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 07:49:04 CDT