Re: Oracle & ADO (converted from MS-SQL)

From: Zane Schott <zschott_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:47:36 GMT

First off, go with VB6. The data environment makes it worth it.

Second, download TOAD from www.toadsoft.com to use as a development tool.

Third...
If you are going to stay in a mixed environment (SQL 6.x/7 and Oracle 7/8), then stay with ADO. If so, search Microsoft's KnowledgeBase by the keyword kbOracle and you will find the good and the bad about ADO. Using a DSN-less connection against Microsofts ODBC for Oracle has proven to be a little more stable than Oracle's ODBC.

If you are going to only have Oracle as your back end, then you should really check out Oracle Objects for OLE for your data access. OO4O is available from the Oracle Client (License Free). If you use OO4O version 2.2 or higher, you can retrieve data faster than ADO 2.x. Plus, you can do all the things ADO can not like return a cursor from a stored procedure, return more than 10 parameters from a stored procedure, perform a true refresh call on data objcets.

Good Luck!

Zane E