Oracle7.2.3-Datatype problem

From: Andreas Mueller <Andreas.Mueller_at_scr.siemens.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:10:52 -0400

Hello!!!

I need to export a table with a column of type LONG to a comma-separated textfile. I use SQL*PLUS with spooling and the following SQL-query:

   SELECT rtrim(name) ||

',' ||
rtrim(descr)||
',' ||
rtrim(text) ||
',' ||
code || --< this is the LONG-field. ';' I know that LONG-fields cannot be used with operators or functions, but
the output should look like this:

   name,descr,text,code;

I already tried copying the LONG-values to a new table where the respective column is defined as VARCHAR2(2000), however this seems to be impossible, too.

Since I only have here Oracle7.2.3 on HP-UX10.20 with SQL*PLUS and no further tools, I need to know if there's any possibility to convert or use the LONG-type-field so I can write it in the desired way.

Has anyone an idea??? Any hints are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Andreas Mueller
SCR Princeton Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 11:10:52 CDT