Re: Index troubles with SQLLoader

From: Daniel Murray <dmurray_at_gnncast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:16:45 GMT

It depends, if you are using the direct path loading option, Oracle disables all the constraints and loads the data directly into the datafiles. This is the reason that it runs quickly. There is an option to put at the end of the controlfile that is used to reenable the constraints and it is reenable constraints. However, you may encounter some problems with the indexes and you may have to rebuild them manually. You can check for the problem indexes by checking the dba_indexes table. BTW, direct path also doesn't perform any trigger fires so you have to contend with that issue as well.

The conventional load path keeps all of your data and applies the data to the indexes and also fires the triggers. You have the possibility of row contention and as such the conventional load path runs much slower. It used bind arrays to load the data and works very much like performing insert statements on the database.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Murray