Re: Develop web appl. using Oracle 8i

From: Remco Moolenaar <remco_at_scc.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:49:43 +0200

Finn Ellebaek Nielsen wrote:

> > I don't have OAS in my package. From Oracle Web site, it said Oracle 8i
> > is internet ready. So my question is Do I need OAS for my above
> > purpose?? Thanks a lot of advice.
>
> Take a look at WebDB http://www.oracle.com/tools/webdb, that should be
> included in your package.

One of the major advantages is that Oracle 8i can be accessed using IIOP, the Corba protocol. Using this protocol you do not need the OAS or WebDB. In my opinion, using OAS or using WebDB (server-wise speaking) does not make any difference. Both have to use an Oracle listener (from Oracle or shareware) to create a SQLNet connection.

I must agree with the previous poster, that using WebDB is probably the easiest way to start a web-enabled application environment.

Remco Moolenaar.

--

Remco Moolenaar                                   mailto:remco_at_scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/

Amsterdam, The Netherlands Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 03:49:43 CDT