Efficient parent/child/ancestral relationship DB algorithms

From: <nfwatson_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 06:49:16 GMT

All,

I am interested in developing an efficient distributed system with an RDBMS as the primary data storage mechanism. There are a number of situations where I will confront the following scenario (note that I'm not an experienced RDMBS programmer). I will try to be brief.

    ParentRoleID        ChildRoleID
       1                   3
       1                   2
       3                   5
       2                   7
       2                   5
       7                   8
       9                   8

   SplatTable

     SplatID AccessRoleID

     "item 1"               3
     "item 2"               7
     "item 3"               9
      etc. etc.

   AncestorTable

     RoleID       AncestorRoleID
       1                1
       3                3
       3                1
       2                2
       2                1
       5                5
       5                3
       5                1
       5                2
       7                7
       7                2
       7                1
       8                8
       8                7
       8                2
       8                1
       8                9
       9                9

    select SplatID from AncestorTable, SplatTable     where AncestorTable.RoleID = X and

          SplatTable.AccessRoleID =
              AncestorTable.AncestorRoleID

MY QUESTIONS:

Thank you for your time. I am an
experienced software developer, but
haven't done much with RDBMS programming, and look forward to more.

Nathan Watson
nwatson_at_actuate.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jun 25 1999 - 01:49:16 CDT