Re: Oracle8i with Java problem

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:33:43 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Robert J. McCready" <rmccread_at_mitre.org> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:38:03 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I've got a perplexing problem with communicating with and Oracle8i
>database with Java. I have what I believe to be all the required .class
>files from Oracle. The file I downloaded was classes111.zip which is
>the same name as the .zip file for Oracle7, but that's besides the
>point. When I try to connect, I issue the following command...
>
> String userName = "scott";
> String password = "tiger";
> String url = "jdbc:oracle:oci8:@tatooine:1521:test2";
>
> //
> // Where the computer name is 'tatooine', and the service name is
>'test2'
> //
>
> DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());
> conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url,userName,password);
>
>I can connect, but my programs all crash after trying to get results
>back from SQL commands. Am I just doing something wrong? I used a
>different url to connect to an Oracle7 database and have no problems...
>
> String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@dee:1521:mii";
>
>But that didn't effect my programs when I changed it. Any ideas?

When you say 'crash' what do you mean. is there some exception, some error message?

I just tried the 805 jdbc drivers (thick and thin) to connect to 8i and they worked. Can you post a small, full sample that 'crashed' and a cut and paste of any errors you are getting?

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Jun 24 1999 - 06:33:43 CDT