Re: NLS_DATE_FORMAT

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_nospam.dot.state.mn.us>
Date: 1999/06/23

Marc Mazerolle <informaze_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>What is the syntax to set the NLS_DATE_FORMAT to "DD-MON-RR" in the
>init.ora. file ? I know there is a specific syntax to follow....
>
>Regards,
>
>Marc Mazerolle

In your init<sid>.ora file add

nls_date_format = 'DD-MON-RR'

Some notes ( mostly my opinions )

Unless there is some reason to do so, why use RR instead of YYYY - I dislike 'sliding' date fields and prefer to explicitly handle all possible centuries ( at least until the Y10K problem arrives )

If any of your clients have a nls_date_format set in their environment or registry, this is the format that will be used regardless of the init<sid>.ora setting....in fact, if the client has ANY nls_ settings, all the unset ones will be the 'default' Oracle settings ( nls_date_format = 'DD-MON-YY' for example )...

So, be sure that all your clients have the same nls_date_format set as the init<sid>.ora one, or, have NO nls_ settings on the client....

Have fun,
John Greco
Oracle DBA/Application Developer
MnDOT Human Resource Office
( usual anti-spam measures - email to john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us )   Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 00:00:00 CDT