Oracle8i with Java problem

From: Robert J. McCready <rmccread_at_mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:38:03 -0400

Hello everyone,

I've got a perplexing problem with communicating with and Oracle8i database with Java. I have what I believe to be all the required .class files from Oracle. The file I downloaded was classes111.zip which is the same name as the .zip file for Oracle7, but that's besides the point. When I try to connect, I issue the following command...

	String userName = "scott";
	String password = "tiger";
	String url = "jdbc:oracle:oci8:@tatooine:1521:test2";

//
// Where the computer name is 'tatooine', and the service name is
'test2'
//
DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver()); conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url,userName,password);

I can connect, but my programs all crash after trying to get results back from SQL commands. Am I just doing something wrong? I used a different url to connect to an Oracle7 database and have no problems...

        String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@dee:1521:mii";

But that didn't effect my programs when I changed it. Any ideas?

--

Robert J. McCready			Knowledge Management Software Engineer
Email: rmccread_at_mitre.org		The MITRE Corporation