Function call overhead

From: Jim <lermontovb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:56:04 +0100

I'm trying to log the activity of a number of packages we use for a batch job. I'm planning to use UTL_FILE to write out to a directory on the Oracle server while debugging. What I'll probably do is have a LogEntry function that takes a string and, if I'm in logging mode, writes it out. If I'm not I'll just have a "Null;" line.
What I need is an idea of the performance overhead in what is already pretty manky, bloated code involved in this. Is it worse to implement this in a separate package and should I just put one in each of the packages I'm implementing (not ideal I know but who's ever allowed the time to do it right on legacy code?)
Thanks
Jim Gillies
P.S Does anyone know of an sites that have good stuff on PL/SQL & Oracle internals? Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 16:56:04 CDT