Re: default precision and scale of NUMBER datatype?

From: Valery Yourinsky <vsu_at_softexpress.ru>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:54:49 +0300

<allenu_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7konmd$hl3$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
>Can someone tell me what the default precision and scal of the NUMBER
>datatype is if these two details aren't specified? i.e. some_number
>number(10) gives precision of 10, but what about some_number number?

---
The NUMBER datatype stores zero, positive, and negative fixed and floating-point numbers with magnitudes between 1.0 x 10 -130 and 9.9...9 x 10 125 (38 nines followed by 88 zeroes) with 38 digits of precision. If you specify an arithmetic expression whose value has a magnitude greater than or equal to 1.0 x 10 126 , Oracle returns an error.
Specify a floating-point number using the following form:

   NUMBER is a floating-point number with decimal precision 38. ---

Source: Oracle8 SQL Reference. Basic Elements of Oracle SQL

Valery Yourinsky
---
Softservice, Moscow
ORACLE PARTNER
tel/fax (095) 333-63-10, 128-18-21
http://www.softexpress.ru
ICQ# 368 97 94
second E-mail: vsur_at_usa.net Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 05:54:49 CDT