Re: Delete vs. truncate

From: Nisar Tareen <ntareen_at_attcanada.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:41:33 GMT

hi,

Delete and Truncate for in broad term do the same, but deep down they are different.

If you wish to delete or remove or zap all the data from the table than Truncate is the best option, Yes you can achieve this by delete, but by Truncate the Counter of Table No of record is moved up and for delete, it physically go and delete all records, all the element are in use, redo log, rollback segment, db writer and so on, so it is slow.

Good Luck.

Nisar Tareen
Canada...
ntareen_at_allianz.ca