Re: Oracle and Sybase on same machine?

From: Xuening Sun <ba503_at_torfree.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:20:35 GMT

 I am running Sybase 11, Oralce 7 and Oracle8i on the same NT box (NT 4.0, SP4). This configuration is not difficult to set up.

Xuening Sun
--
danyal_at_my-deja.com wrote:
: In article <375ff642.64429204_at_news>,
: etheridge_at_presearch-sd.com wrote:
: > A friend of mine wants to run both Oracle and Sybase on the same
: > machine (Unix or NT, doesn't matter to him). He tells me that this is
: > supposed to be a difficult thing to do. I have not used either
: > product, so I don't have a clue. Is it possible to run both at the
: > same time? If so, is it difficult? Is there a procedure that should be
: > followed to do this? Thanks in advance for any help.

: Difficult-not in my experience. on Unix, different databases can
: usually co-exist on the same server with no problem. During a
: conversion project, I ran Oracle 7.3.4 on the same box as our Sybase
: server. No problems.

: NT can be an entirely different monster. I haven't tried it with
: Sybase, however I can tell you that SQL Server and Oracle do not work
: well together on the same NT server. They spend most of their time
: fighting over the same resources.

: In short--if you do this, go with some flavor of UNIX.

: HTH,

: Denzil

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Share what you know. Learn what you don't.