Personal Oracle 8 Local DB

From: <jmmattern_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:53:35 GMT

  Oracle 8 PE (on NT) has a 'Navigator' program that allows you to manage and view objects in the
'Local' database. By default this 'local
database' is the 'Starter Database' (orcl) created during installation.
  Using the DB Assistant, additional database instances can be created (e.g. 'orc0'). These show up as running 'services' and I can connect to them in Navigator and via SQL*Plus. However, I can't figure out how to make these the 'local database'. Certain features (e.g. Replication) require dragging objects from a remote connection to the 'local database' view (which is stuck as
'orcL').

***
  Does anyone know how to make the 'local database' point to the instance I created ('orc0' rather than 'orcl')? Or is there just one database running - and database objects are segregated via the 'Projects' views.

The documentation says the Local DB CAN be switched to something other than the starter db but it doens't say HOW to do it...

Any help, insight, links, etc. would be of tremendous help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jun 22 1999 - 08:53:35 CDT