Re: locally-managed tablespaces vs dictionary-managed tablespaces in 8i

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:39:52 +0100

I haven't yet been able to think of any serious ones.

The views dba_extents et. al. will probably suffer if you use them casually because the information will now be scattered across more physical space.

If you extend a tablespace, the bitmap for that tablespace will be scattered one piece per extension, which leaves me a little uncomfortable (for no good reason really, but I could imagine an error somehow writing across the bitmap of one section because another bitmap claimed to own the space).

Generally I think it is a very smart move for sundry reasons, and I think (with some reservations) Oracle would recommend them in many situations.

--

Jonathan Lewis