Long Columns in Oracle 8

From: <james88_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:06:41 GMT

   I am developing an application in C++ that writes data of 32000 bytes or less to a column that has a data type of Long. Just so you have a visual reference this data is simply a normal text document. Another application which views this column must see a CR followed by a LF (Carriage Return followed by a Line Feed) to display the text with the proper layout - in other words the line breaks are where they should be.

   The problem is that what ever method I use in C++ to send the data to the database results in the CR's being removed from the data stream during transmission or at the oracle end. Transmission is being accomplished via ODBC (using Oracle ODBC Driver version 8.00.0400). The resulting data, when contained in the Long column, is identical to what was sent via C++ with the exception that the CRLF's are now just LF's. When this data is then viewed through the end user application GUI the data is seen as one continuous line with no line breaks.

   If anyone has any suggestions, or has successfully sent data to a Long column and retained the CRLF information, please respond to this inquiry or send me a personal email. I would very much appreciate any help I could get - I have spent an unsuccessful day on this and would like to resolve it. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

James Smith
PhotoReal Digital Productions
http://www.photoreal-productions.com
james88_at_ibm.net Received on Mon Jun 21 1999 - 14:06:41 CDT