Ping another Instance?

From: P Jeromel <pjeromel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:00:28 +0930

Re all,

I have the following situation:
2 Oracle databases on seperate machines linked via network.

Question:
I need to ping one database from within the other.

Simple Solution:
Create a DB link, and do a simple query on the other database via the DB_LINK. Problem with this:
If the connection is down because of the network or because the other DB is down, then it takes too long to time out and bring back an error.

Does anyone have a solution for pinging which has a quick timeout for invalid connections? Or are there settings which I can manipulate??

Thanks.
Paul Received on Mon Jun 21 1999 - 03:30:28 CDT