Re: Help: one DB file often becomes unreadable

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:25:59 +0100

At a recent SIG meeting a poll of the group indicated that of the 40 or so users of Oracle on NT everyone did cold backups, and half did full exports as a safety measure.

4 different backup packages were named that were supposed to be able to handle hot backups (one was Seagate), and all had given trouble to at least one member of the group usually because of NT file locking collisions - in some cases the backup did not take place, in other cases Oracle suddenly failed because it had been locked out by the backup software.

The reason why this might happen intermittently is that Oracle has various timeout events that cause things like database writes, so it is possibly just a matter of luck as to whether the occasional 'idling' file access from Oracle might take place on specific file just as a backup has locked it out - I can't really make any firmer guess than that.

I would get a list of the error times, and a matching list of the backup times, and take it to Seagate support as reasonable indication that there was a problem for them to address. (Though it would probably be fairly reasonable for them to say it is a problem internal to NT).

--

Jonathan Lewis