Re: Anyone Actually using Dev/2000 Server / Web Enabled forms ?

From: <boxer8082_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:10:34 GMT

Hi,

I've just finished prototyping the deployment of a Thick Client Server Oracle forms application. It is just about to go off for user acceptance testing. I would be grateful if you would send the location of the paper to which you refer...

"there is an excellent paper by Peter Koletzke or Paul Dorsey on Web- enabled Forms (mainly discussing what doesn't work yet...)"

...just in case the users through up any surprizes.

Cheers,

Box.

In article <FdP33.34138$pj7.269034_at_news2.giganews.com>,   "Chana Campos" <chana_at_campos.org> wrote:
> So far - while the idea of "thin client" is very in vogue - we don't
really
> feel the technology is quite 'there' yet. In our shop, the pure Forms
> applications which went over the Web had major problems - strobing
menus,
> inability to use combo boxes, restrictions on menus, graphics, etc.
etc.
> etc. They also happen to be slower than death - even a floor
away...but the
> IT department here never wants to "touch" another client if they can
help
> it...(I guess the fact that people are going to lunch waiting for
their apps
> to download really isn't a consideration. ) Also, there have been
major
> problems with Forms which were developed on NT being ported over to
Solaris
> for deployment. Boilerplate text is a HUGE problem - it comes out
grossly
> oversized and they have not been able to figure out how to correct the
> problem. Oracle admits this is an 'issue'.... Our users are also
pretty
> outraged at the loss of some Windows functionality/GUI which they
have come
> to take for granted - but now have lost going through the Web....we
have
> also discovered that generating Web modules through Designer and then
trying
> to tweak the PL/SQL modules from there is a complex and nightmarish
task -
> one which is far better off avoided.
>
> Our Designer apps however, are coming through the Web in far better
shape
> than the 'pure' Developer Forms...fine - we aren't generating them
through
> WebServer - but as Forms...but they are still performing more
efficiently
> than the regular Developer apps. Of course, we designed for web
deployment
> from the get-go and will be able to make modifications if we decide
to go
> client-server in a straight-forward manner... As an example, we have
> practically no boiler-plate text - so no surprises there...
>
> So - discover the limitations early on - and then design for them
from the
> ground up if you're going to be using Developer alone - there is an
> excellent paper by Peter Koletzke or Paul Dorsey on Web-enabled Forms
> (mainly discussing what doesn't work yet...) - if you're interested
let me
> know and I'll send the reference along...
>
> Chana Campos

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jun 18 1999 - 10:10:34 CDT