Re: SQL - PL/SQL Question. Please Help!!

From: Kenneth C Stahl <kstahl_at_lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:02:56 -0400

It still sounds like you would benefit from using the view scenario I discussed. It would allow you to extract the data in the way that you need yet you would be able to keep the nulls in the Oracle tables as you should.

If you really must modify the data in the tables, then use pl/sql and perform commits every hundred rows or so. If you working strictly in sqlplus, then enter SET AUTOCOMMIT ON before you start the update statement. Or, if you know that this will not be a reoccuring task, create a large temporary tablespace and then create a large rollback segment in the tablespace and before you start the transaction enter SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT XXX; where xxx is the name of your special rollback segment. When the operation is ultimately complete, take the rollback segment off-line, drop it, and then drop the special tablespace.

Ken

"George Gifford