Re: Cluster vs Unclustered

From: Konstantin Kivi <konst_at_sirena.rinet.ru>
Date: 16 Jun 1999 12:21:59 +0400

Charles McDon1ld <cmcdon12_at_ford.com> writes:

> Hello All
>
> I have a number of large tables that are related.
> ie EntityTable, EntitySpec, Costs, Mixes & Revenues.
>
> Now I do not know which would be better. To place all these tables on a
> single cluster (on ItemCode) or if I should place some of them on a
> seperate tablespace (With seperate disks)
>
> Later
> Charles

We have such situation with airline passenger name records (PNR). From my point of view this can provide great performance on a weak machine (one index instead of many) - less memory required and much less disk activity, but is a maintenance nightmare, especially for 24x7 system, like we have. Export,import, index (re)creation are almost impossible, with a huge cluster that consists of many tables.

--
Sincerely Yours, Konstantin Kivi, Russia, konst_at_sirena.rinet.ru Received on Wed Jun 16 1999 - 03:21:59 CDT