SAS to Oracle Connectivity - Accessing Table Descriptions

From: S. Mishra <sqmishra2168_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:14:52 GMT

Hi Listers,

I'm trying to execute an SQL*Plus command through SAS on a UNIX box.

I have a table named TEST_TBL in Oralce. To get a description of the table in SQL*Plus, I execute the command

SQL> desc test_tbl;

and get a listing of all the variables and their storage mode printed to the screen.

I'm trying to get the same listing by connecting to Oracle through SAS using the following -

PROC SQL FEEDBACK NOERRORSTOP;
CONNECT TO ORACLE (%CONN_STR); /** connect string in macro txt **/

Question - Would anyone know what the syntax of the next few lines ought to be so that I can output the description of the Oracle table into a SAS dataset? Can I even accomplish this task using the above approach? I need the listing of the variable names and their format to create programs for quality control.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently only able to access newsgroups through my Web browser, so please send replies directly to my email address - smishra_at_zsassociates.com - and I will send out a summary of responses to anyone who is interested.

Thanks in advance,
Samir.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 16 1999 - 17:14:52 CDT