Re: Grant issues.

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:17:27 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Julio Negueruela <julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:51:28 +0200, you wrote:

>Thomas Kyte escribió:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:49:15 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> > Anyway, a few months ago I had a very similar problem with stored
>> >procedures. The procedure owner was not able to create the procedure,
>> >even though with privileges explicitly granted to him, unless we
>> >specified the grant option. Does anyone know why it must be so? Nothing
>> >appears about the grant option in the Administrator's Guide.
>
>> can you give us an example of what you mean? a really small testcase that
>> demonstrates this?
>>
>> you don't need the grant option to create a procedure on an object.
>
>Yes,
>
>We've recently installed a 8.0.5 version with the upgrade patch 8.0.5.1
>in a Digital Alpha v4.0.D. When one of our developers tryied to create
>some stored procedures he obtained an error (don't remember wich
>exactly) about insuficient privileges. These procedures referenced
>tables not owned by him but he had the needed privileges explicitly.
>Finally, we tried by giving him the same privileges but with the grant
>option and this worked fine.
>
>As I said this occured when trying to reference a couple of tables.
>There were public synonyms for them and the developer had select, update
>and insert privileges without grant option.
>
>Best Regards.

there must have been some other issue (eg: he was creating a procedure that granted on this tables -- not just referencing these tables) as I use that version lots and no such issue appears.

do you have a small test case? I can send you a postive test case (showing you do not need the grant option to create a procedure that references objects in another schema) if you like.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Jun 16 1999 - 10:17:27 CDT