Re: RAID Suggestions

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:25:02 -0400

Hi,

    Having been the victim of one of those AIX System Administrators who mandated that Oracle should run on RAID 5 on an S70 I speak from bitter experience.

    Unless your activity could be comfortably handled on a 520 (I think that was the slowest AIX server they ever made) your users will probably be unhappy with the performance you will get with everything on RAID 5.

    It is possible to compromise and obtain decent performance. This entails moving critical elements off of the RAID 5 box and putting them on their own disks. Move off the redo logs, the archive logs, and the rollback segments. The installation's job mix and workload will determine if your user community is planning on lynching you or otherwise shortening your career. If you are running either OLAP or OLTP -- but not both -- and the majority of your activity is read only and you have many, many gigabytes of space for your SGA your uses will probably be satisfied.

    Basically your organization is going to pay for what it needs -- even if it doesn't buy it.

regards

Jerry Gitomer