Retreiving detailed Oracle messages from an external source, such as the Borland BDE

From: Shaun Laurens <laurenss_at_mweb.co.za>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:46:59 +0200

Hi there,

I have a challenging question for anyone up to it.

My requirements are simple : extract detailed SQL execution problems = from a source external to SQL*Plus. I need to be able to replicate = something such as this (as in the line and position of the error) from = an external Win32 program created in Borland Delphi:

SQL> select tbls from tabs;

     select tbls from tabs
            *
     ERROR at line 1:
     ORA-00904: invalid column name

Obviously this query is in error, but the sum total information given = back by Oracle via OCI into the BDE is as follows:

(0) Invalid field name.
(904) ORA-00904: invalid column name

Anyone have any idea's? I have considered executing SQL*Plus from a = command prompt, but that is not as elegant as i would like it to be.

I wonder if there are any system tables that may be of use?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun Laurens
Cape Town
South Africa Received on Tue Jun 15 1999 - 13:46:59 CDT