Re: select *, rowid from ...

From: John Lacey <johnl_at_vizdom.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:08:03 GMT

Martin Behland wrote:

> is there a reason, why
>
> SELECT *, ROWID FROM table;
>
> does not work, but
>
> SELECT table.*, ROWID FROM table;
>
> does?

That's just how SQL was designed. If the select list has a stand-alone * it can't have anything else. In /A Guide to the SQL Standard/ C.J. Date calls this limitation "actively annoying" and says "there was never a clear reason why" SQL had this limitation.

I can't think of a reason why this couldn't implemented as an extension, but I'm not a SQL guru.

John L

cc: Martin Behland Received on Mon Jun 14 1999 - 16:08:03 CDT