Re: Newbie Index Question

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:00:09 GMT

A copy of this was sent to dipenk_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:24:26 GMT, you wrote:

>IS it possible to rebuild an index that is a
>primary key? I have an index that has a lot of
>deleted rows when I validate its structure and I
>want to rebuild it. Can I do this simply using the
>REBUILD command?
>
>Thanks in Advance.
>
>Dipen Kotecha
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Yes you can:

SQL> drop table t;

Table dropped.

SQL>
SQL> create table t ( x int constraint t_pk primary key );

Table created.

SQL>
SQL> insert into t select user_id from all_users;

8211 rows created.

SQL>
SQL> alter index t_pk rebuild;

Index altered.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Jun 14 1999 - 09:00:09 CDT