Alternate TNSNAMES.ORA

From: Scott Morrow <razors_edge_at_geocities.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 13:34:54 -0400

Hi!

I develop a Forms 4.5 application (Win95 client, Dec Alpha Oracle 7.3 DB server) which will be used on systems which already have other Oracle client applications installed.

I understand that an alternate TNSNAMES.ORA file may be specified for one's application in a Win95 registry entry, but I need to find a way to dynamically specify the appropriate TNSNAMES.ORA each time my application is launched, then return the environmental variable to the default value upon exiting so that other Oracle applications on the same machine will access their own TNSNAMES.ORA file when launched.

In this particular circumstance, appending my entries to an existing TNSNAMES.ORA file is not an option, and although I am aware that I can dynamically read & write registry entries via calls to the Win API (As per the Forms45 Demos), I need the pointer to the new TNSNAMES.ORA to be set PRIOR to connecting to the DB through the application. (I think?)

Is anyone aware of a way to have your application use it's own TNSNAMES.ORA without interfering with the one belonging to other applications on the same platform?
Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Scott Morrow Received on Sun Jun 13 1999 - 12:34:54 CDT