Re: Want to get into field, need advice.

From: attwoody <attwoody_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:29:30 GMT

In article <7jf9m0$fi8$1_at_holly.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,   "xyz" <els_at_grove.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Dear DBA's out there,
>
> I'm interested in getting involved in the field but need guidance. I
need to
> get some help learning about necessary skills and certifications, etc.
> want to cover all the my bases. Unfortunately, I consider money
somewhat of
> an issue at the time.
>
> Would someone please let me know where to start?
>
> Thank you.
> -Garreth
> piejr_at_tfn.net
>
> Greetings, Garreth,

Some suggestions:

  1. If you have access to a Windows PC, install one of the Linux distributions (Red Hat, SuSE or Slackware) on it, in a dual-boot configuration, then get copies of Personal Oracle for Windows and Oracle8 for Linux. You can get these from the Oracle Store that's part of Oracle's website (www.oracle.com) for about $4.50 each. This will give you some experience in working with Oracle in Windows and Unix environments. You will find in industry that a very common configuration is to have the Oracle database on a Unix server (HP, Sun or IBM) and the application on Windows NT. There are companies that do run Oracle on Windows NT, but the larger the database and the need for a scalable, robust, reliable environment, the more likely that the database will be on Unix.

  Be willing to learn all about operating systems (Unix, NT, VMS, MVS, etc), because to be a good Oracle DBA, you need an understanding of the operating system the database will be on and how the database interacts with the operating system. I have installed Oracle on HP-UX, Solaris, AIX and VMS; I've maintained it on IRIX. I even spent a year and a half as a junior Unix sysadmin, and that helped me become a much better DBA.

  2. If you're able to, find a company that would be willing to train you as an Oracle DBA. Good Oracle DBA's are very hard to find, and command good salaries. Many companies are figuring out that it's better to "home-grow" DBA's than to try and find them on the market. Optimally, you'd join an established group of DBA's and would learn from them.

  3. Check out your local university or collge's Extended Education offerings - many schools offer Oracle courses in the evenings, for about 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of Oracle. For example, the Oracle8 Database Administrator course is $2,200.00 if you take it from Oracle, but I've seen classes with the same content (and often materials from Oracle) for about $500-$1200 at a university.

  4. Check out the Oracle Press books like 'Oracle8: A Beginner's Guide' by Michael J. Abbey and Michael J. Corey. Other Oracle Press offerings are: Oracle DBA Handbook, Oracle - The Complete Reference, Advanced Oracle Tuning and Administration. Also, O'Reilly (the books with the animals on them) has several Oracle books (www.oreilly.com).

  5. I would work as a DBA for about a year or so before taking the certification tests. It's true that many people take classes or read books and can pass the tests, but I think a more well-rounded person gets experience first and certification later.

Best to you.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jun 11 1999 - 18:29:30 CDT