Re: beginner question

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:14:27 GMT

A copy of this was sent to bravo6500_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:08:21 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi, I am trying to compile a package that has a cursor which references
>tables in another schema. I keep getting the compilation error
>(SATURN.tablename needs to be declared.) However, when I run the select
>statement from the cursor in a regular sql edit window, I get my
>desired results. Does this have to do with public synonyms? I'm new to
>development so apologies if this is a 'stupid' question. Any help or
>advice would be much appreciated.

roles are never enabled during the execution of a procedure (with the exception of some invokers rights routines -- new feature in Oracle8i, release 8.1).

Try this:

SQL> set role none;
SQL> "statement you want to test to see if it'll work in a procedure"

If you can do it in plus with no roles you can do it in a procedure. If you can't, you must have the privelege from a role and hence won't be able to do it in a procedure.

You probably have the privelege to do what you are trying to do in the procedure via a role. Grant the privelege directly to the owner of the procedure and it'll work.

>Thanks,
>MM
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Jun 11 1999 - 12:14:27 CDT