Re: recovery method

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:24:33 -0700

Brian

You have a requirements mismatch here, if nothing else. Yes, you can restore from the backup, whether it was hot or cold. Just restore the files and startup.

But to have a database that has to be up 7x24 on one disk is madness. Ask the people who wanted 7x24 how much downtime you can have to recover the database when the disk crashes. You'll probably find out there really isn't a need for real 7x24. If there is such a need, I'd be looking for a job where the client IS prepared to shell out the dollars for disk space! ;)

HTH. Pete

by999_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> In article <z7D73.1550$CG.58953_at_typ31b.nn.bcandid.com>,
> "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:
> > The customer doesn't care that much about this database and he's told
> you he
> > can lose a day's data. If you have a crash, just do a restore from
> the
> > previous night's tape. You are doing a cold backup every night,
> right?
>
> Thank you for your help. I can't do a cold backup every night. Although
> losing one day's data is acceptable, the database has to be on 7x24. So
> I do hot backup everyday. But in the case of disk crash, all I have is
> from previous day's tape, which are the tablespace datafile, control
> file, on-line redo logs and archived logs. I am wondering what is the
> proper recovery strategy provided I only have previous day's datafile,
> control file, on-line and archived logs (all these are from a hot
> backup). I read Oracle 7 documentation, but can't find a way that really
> fit into my case. Please help me!
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Brian
>

> > Brian Yan <by2_at_gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote in message
> > > Hi there, I just took over a very bad designed oracle database (7.1)
> on
> > > SCO unix box. There is only one physical disk. Everything (datafile,
> > > log, archived log, control file) is in one directory. Customer has
> no
> > > plan to upgrade the hard disk. The database is run under archivelog
> > > mode. It is O.K. to lose one day data. Currenly, we have all on-line
> > > datafile backup and archived log backed to tape every night. I am
> > > wondering in the case of disk failure, can I just copy all the
> datafile
> > > plus the archived logs to the same directory as before (assumed
> server
> > > directories have been restored to the image before crash)? then
> startup
> > > database, run the recover command? I am very new on oracle recovery.
> Any
> > > suggestion would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
> > >
> > > Brian Yan

Regards

Pete