Connect to Oracle 8 via JNI hangs

From: <supergingerdave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 17:33:14 GMT

I'm using the Java Native Interface to call a C shared library (Pro*C) which makes a database connection. The connection hangs. Why?

I'm on HP-UX 11.00 E 9000/810 (t11) and Oracle 8.0.4 with Java JDK 1.1.7b

So what files do I have?

APITest.java - a java source file with a couple of public native methods
APITest.h - Generated using "javah -jni APITest"
APITest.c - a small C stub which calls my oracle shared library
DB.pc - the Pro*C file with the database calls

So when I run the java file, it calls a native function "DBConnect" in APITest.c (which I've compiled into a shared libary libAPITest.sl). This now calls a function called "db_connect" in another shared library, which was created from DB.c (after compiling DB.pc -> DB.c)

The "exec sql connect :oracleid;" line in DB.pc is called and there it hangs.

The answer? Use native_threads NOT green_threads

Once I changed to native_threads the sql connect call returned succesfully, and I decided to RTFM to see why.

I couldn't see anyone else having this problem, so maybe I'm the only one. Let me know if anyone knows where I can find good information about Java threads and Oracle 8.

Cheerio

Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 09 1999 - 12:33:14 CDT