Re: Retrieving data from an Oracle Database

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:24:09 +0100

Nic wrote:

> The data for an Oracle Database - what would be the filename for the
> data ie what would be the file extension?
>
> How would I retrieve this data and export it to another database
> style such as MS Access?
> --
> Merry Ye Meet, And Merry Ye Part, To Merry Meet Again!
>
> Nic

Nic
Oracle data files are (usuallly) filename.ora. The internal format is akin to a filesystem, and it's not a good idea to go poking around in the actual file. Also a single file may not contain the data you require, a single table could be spread across many files and even if you use this root, indexes will not be used to access the underlying data.

You can access the Oracle RDBMS from M$Access using ODBC modules for Oracle. Then the data transfers becomes much more trivial.

See http://www.orafaq.org/faqodbc.htm for details..

martin Received on Wed Jun 09 1999 - 05:24:09 CDT