Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: Anthony Mandic <am_at__.agd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 19:43:20 +1000

Erik Nielsen wrote:

> rogersmith_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > I went through this thread and loved it. I'm a DB2
> > for OS/390 DBA. I know very little UNIX and wanted
> > to enhance it. My question is "Is Solaris 7 x86 a
> > UNIX style on PC, like Linux ?" If 'yes' which is
> > really best LINUX or SOLARIS 7 x86 ?.

	The question of better is subjective. It depends on what
	you want to do with it. Solaris for Intel is exactly the
	same as the Sparc version (excluding the obvious hardware
	differences). It does support less hardware than Linux
	does. Its also more demanding than Linux. But then it is
	commercial grade server software. SCO Unix is another
	commercial gade Unix for Intel. There are also some
	BSD based flavours around. For those who want to learn it
	with the future prospect of gainful employment, Solaris
	would be the best bet.

> I would advocate linux over solaris. I don't have much experience with
> solarisx86, but linux is likely to be better documented, and there's a

        You must be using 'better' in a sense I am unfamiliar with.

> lot of software being written for it that you'd have to port to
> solaris. If you don't want to build all of your programs youself, I'd
> recommend Linux (probably RedHat). Linux might also support more
> hardware, but I'm not sure of that. Solaris and Linux are both Unix
> environments. Linux has also been around longer than solaris for the
> x86 platform. My guess would be that linux performs better (on an x86),
> but that's another unbacked up comment.

	Actually, Solaris had been around longer. With lxrun you can
	run Linux programs on Solaris x86. I don't know if there is a
	reverse capability yet. You needn't build the most popular or
	common tools. Start with http://www.sunfreeware.com

-am Received on Wed Jun 09 1999 - 04:43:20 CDT