Re: Performance problem using oracle and ado

From: Bob <robertgbryan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 20:29:33 GMT

In article <375ABDF3.6F135082_at_home.com>,   Roderick De Vera <rdevera_at_home.com> wrote:
> Help please!
>
> Forgive me if this is a no brainer question.
>
> I am trying to retrieve approx 2500 rows in my VB6 program from an
> average size table in Oracle via ADO and I am experiencing an
> unacceptable performance. The approximate time elapsed to retrieve the
> recordset is about 6 seconds compare to using RDO it returns right
away.

> Trying it on a third party tools such as the MS Query and Data tools
> which I assume uses ADO it is quick (fraction of a second).
>
> Is this the normal behavior of ADO considering the number of rows I am
> requesting? Is there something I am missing?
>
> By the way, i am using Oracle ODBC Driver 8.01.05 and ADO 2.1
>
> I really need help
>
> Thanks
>
> Rod

Hi Rod,

Couple of ideas for you:

  1. Are you connecting to your Oracle DB each time you pull data? If so, then maybe you should connect first, then pull the data. Connecting takes some time.
  2. If you are displaying these rows to a user's computer, then try retrieving only the first couple of hundred rows. Then fetch more in the background while the user is looking at the data.
  3. Try to use PL/SQL stored procedures instead of VB code when possible.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jun 08 1999 - 15:29:33 CDT