Re: Oracle8 with Unix

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 17:00:37 GMT

I have done numerous installs on AIX, and they get easier as you go. The first step is to get the Oracle installation manual for your particular flavor of Unix. They are pretty helpful. Read it through before you start. A couple of other tips I would offer upfront:

make sure your mount points are created beforehand, and that the permissions on them are correct;
make sure you have ample room in the filesystem you will be installing into;
make sure that all appropriate compilers and libraries are installed. For example, AIX uses the 'make' command, and the Oracle utility oraxlc calls the xlc_r AIX command. If these aren't present, relinking of the executables will fail.

Other than that things typically flow smoothly. Good Luck!

In article <7j61lt$o5a$1_at_news.hamburg.pop.de>,   "susanne mainz" <smainz_at_debis.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> is there anyone out there who can explain to me how to install
Oracle8 with
> Unix? I have a SUN with Solaris 2.7, and I have not yet worked with
Unix...
> haha, this is extreme-computing, I know.
>
> Thanx, Susanne

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jun 08 1999 - 12:00:37 CDT