Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: Erik Nielsen <nielsen_at_gcg.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 11:50:52 -0500

rogersmith_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <374A16B3.8AF1E054@_.agd.nsw.gov.au>,
> Anthony Mandic <am@_.agd.nsw.gov.au> wrote:
> > Bas Scheffers wrote:
> >
> > > I wouldn't trust 50 gig of 20 years worth of
> financial data to NT,
> > > would you?
> >
> > I don't think anyone would.
> >
> > > If you don't know any unix, it might be hard
> to get work in a unix
> > > enviroment. But 'enough unix for your resume'
> is not that hard to get,
> > > especialy if you'd work at a larger operation
> with a (couple of) full
> > > time unix admins. Just get a copy of linux and
> a good book and you'll
> >
> > Linux may not be the best choice. I've
> seen too many Linux users
> > try and make the transition to Solaris and
> bring their bad habits
> > with them. Solaris 7 x86 may be a better
> choice. Unfortunately,
> > there isn't a version of Sybase available
> for it yet.
> >
> > > be going for that $100,000.- a year job
> running Sybase on solaris,
> > > HPUX or whatever in no time. They are 95% the
> same as linux. Too bad
> > > the 5% is the anoying 5%, like having to work
> with a 20 year old shell
> > > on solaris that doesn't know what commands you
> typed last and such
> > > things. So you'll end up compiling and
> installing hundreds of utils
> > > that make life easy on a standard linux
> distribution yourself.
> >
> > What wrong with grabbing tcsh from
> http://www.sunfreeware.com ?
> >
> > -am
> >

> I went through this thread and loved it. I'm a DB2
> for OS/390 DBA. I know very little UNIX and wanted
> to enhance it. My question is "Is Solaris 7 x86 a
> UNIX style on PC, like Linux ?" If 'yes' which is
> really best LINUX or SOLARIS 7 x86 ?.

I would advocate linux over solaris. I don't have much experience with solarisx86, but linux is likely to be better documented, and there's a lot of software being written for it that you'd have to port to solaris. If you don't want to build all of your programs youself, I'd recommend Linux (probably RedHat). Linux might also support more hardware, but I'm not sure of that. Solaris and Linux are both Unix environments. Linux has also been around longer than solaris for the x86 platform. My guess would be that linux performs better (on an x86), but that's another unbacked up comment.

Erik Received on Tue Jun 08 1999 - 11:50:52 CDT